Well, not just diamonds. Sapphires, rubies, emeralds…you get the idea.
I’m not ashamed to admit that I’ve been enamored with fine jewelry since I was a very little girl. My Christmas wish list at eleven years old included sapphire stud earrings and a sapphire and diamond ring. Sure enough, my grandparents delivered, and they are still some of my most treasured pieces. I ask for fine jewelry at almost every birthday or holiday, because sparking gems bring my heart joy! Some people collect expensive shoes or antiques or art….I collect jewelry.
Which brings us to today’s post. There are lots of cool places to shop for diamonds, but I’m going to write about my personal go-to, since it’s what I know best: Diamonds Direct. Not only is it one of my favorite places on earth to look at gorgeous fine jewelry, but they only carry conflict-free diamonds. (Which, let me tell you from experience, can be very hard to find.) I stopped by the one in my hometown to check out the latest goodies and expand my wish list! (If you need further inspiration, they have a blog that is amazing.) Here is a rundown of what I found and think every jewelry obsessed woman needs in her jewel box:
- Colorful Ice. Though a pure white diamond is as classic as it gets, colored gemstones are the perfect accessory. I tried on two show-stopping diamond and ruby rings, and they immediately added an element of whimsy to my outfit. I think whether it’s a deep blue sapphire (like the one you see in the pics above,) or a shocking ruby red, color jazzes up everything. Especially important pieces for a gal who has a closet of mainly neutrals!
- Diamond Bangles. Bangle bracelets are so elegant! Worn alone, they’re simple and go with anything; jeans, cocktail dress, evening gown. Stacked with two or more, you venture into seriously chic territory. I love how their simplicity still makes such a huge statement. I even love seeing them layered with a large silver or gold watch.
- Diamond Hoop Earrings. What I love about diamond hoop earrings is that you can go super small in size and exude a casual elegance vibe. But the larger you go, the more regal you feel. This large pair (above) from Diamonds Direct was enough sparkle to make me feel like a cross between Mariah Carey and Amal Clooney….playful and stately at the same time!
- Diamond Stretch Bracelets. I’ve seen these beauties on countless celebs. I’m wearing three of these graceful bracelets featuring sparkling diamonds, met on either side by beads of yellow gold, rose gold or white gold. One awesome thing about these? Clasp-free bracelets that stretch easily and fit comfortably, so you can slide them on in a stack and go! (Diamonds Direct has a gorgeous assortment of these. I couldn’t pick a favorite, but the rose gold began calling my name. Loudly.)
- Diamond Tennis Bracelet. More bracelets, you say? Yes, and here’s why….a classic bracelet doesn’t compete with your outfit, your handbag, your makeup, or your shoes. It’s a whisper of sophistication. And the multi-generational classic tennis bracelet can be sporty or refined. Whether you snag a one carat tennis bracelet or a ten carat, they are gorgeous on the wrist. I received my first tennis bracelet at 14, and I wore it everywhere. (Side note: I also lost it at some point, so make sure you get one with a very secure clasp. I was heartbroken!)
- Statement Earrings. A gorgeous sapphire and diamond pair or a cascading waterfall of dangling diamonds…either way you decide to go, these babies are going to get some well-deserved attention! I spied the sapphire and diamond pair you see above and spent the next thirty minutes trying to figure out how to make them mine.
- Diamond Necklace That Reflects You. Whether it’s a cross signifying your faith, a simple diamond drop, or an intricate design you work with a trusted jeweler to create, I think a diamond necklace that reveals a little about your personality is an important heirloom piece to pass down throughout the generations to your loved ones. (And not just diamonds…pearls are great, too!)
One of the things I love about Diamonds Direct is that they can help you design anything you’re dreaming up, or they can help you choose the perfect piece that fits within your budget. And ladies, there is no shame in buying diamonds for yourself! Though it’s lovely to get some bling from a loved one, there is something empowering about buying jewelry for yourself. So this holiday season, why not treat yourself while treating everyone else?
Photography: S. Jackson